Saturday, October 15, 2011

No more KoS

Experiment with KoS ended.  I spent about a week on it, messing with the meter functions and meeting people.  The only interesting bit was the girl who asked to capture me in order to curry favor with her leader; I was then rescued by a Bedouin who invited me to join her tribe.

Then one night the leader of the tribe decided to attack a pirate slaver.  It was my first actual fight, and I was terrified of hitting the wrong person (KoS combat works by physically butting into someone, it's not very satisfying).  Anyway, the leader kept chewing us out for not helping (he had meter troubles and got captured), and he wouldn't let up; and then another girl (the one who had rescued me) bawled out two other people for unsatisfactory RP.

And you know, screw it.  RP is supposed to be fun, and these douches were supposedly my allies.

You can run into idiots anywhere, but I kind of blame it on the meters.  Meter combat always sucks in SL.  There's arguments over the meters, they give advantages for unfair things, they break up RP.  For my computer combat needs I'd rather just play video games.

And all the added functionality really adds nothing that RP couldn't do.  You can get money and a skill by repeating a job... well, that's really no better than declaring yourself a rogue or a dancer or an assassin or whatever.  It's an interesting experiment, but it doesn't produce stories.  Video games are just not the right model for SL RP.

No comments:

Post a Comment